Everyone wants to generate leads and convert those leads into their potential clients by any means necessary.
When I started building PPC text ads campaigns for the first time I was thinking the same thing but little did I knew about conversion tracking and all. Which was actually a bad thing because conversion tracking is a smart way to keep check on the performance of your Google AdWords PPC Text Ads campaigns.
As I was not using any kind of landing page, so when I found out about conversion tracking I tried to embed it within the main website but when I opened the source code and tried to copy the embedding code within it I got scared.
Well the reason was that a website’s source code is lengthy and complicated. We all are aware of that. It takes a lot of time to perfect a website and changes made are not easy to implement.
So seeing such a huge piece of code I got scared. Though I’m aware of coding, still when we look at others’ code that too of your company’s website, anyone will hesitate to edit.
Same might happen with you so I’ll tell you How to properly embed a code within a landing page or a website but I’m gonna suggest that you use landing page because it’s easy to track the conversions by PPC Ads Campaigns on your landing page rather than on website because all other traffic will get recorded as well.
It’s better to keep things sorted so that analytics can be gained properly.
The reason why conversion tracking is necessary is because it helps in tracking various activities of your PPC text ads such as number of website visits, phone calls, purchase tracking for ecommerce sites etc.
Conversion tracking in PPC campaigns will let you in on your performance and you’ll have to optimize your responsive ads according to the insight provided to you. Another special thing that conversion tracking is capable of is that it can show you the details of a single webpage only.
So you can get the proper data to measure and then take your next step.
Now, I have told you about conversion tracking, let’s learn how to set up google ads conversion tracking step by step.
Steps To Create Google’s Ads Conversion Tracking:
1. To set up Google conversion tracking simply go to your Google ads panel.
2. Now click on the tools menu and under the measurement section click on the conversion.
3. Under this section you can add a new conversion or you can import your goals for google analytics as well.
4. To create new conversion tracking you simply have to click on the add icon and a new menu will pop-up with different options for choosing your conversion tracking. These options include website conversion tracking, app conversion tracking, phone tracking and you can even import conversion tracking as well.
5. Now click on the one that you want. Let’s assume that you’re putting tracking for the website conversion then click on it.
6. Once you’ve clicked on it you’ll be redirected to a new page where you’ll have to set-up the conversion category for your website. These include purchase, leads, page views, sign ups and other. These are the conversion types that you’d like to track on your website.
7. I recommend you choose leads as you want more website visitors and want to know how many people got converted.
8. After you’ve chosen your category you can name your conversion tracking, give it a suitable name and proceed to the next option.
9. Now you’ve to assign a value to the conversion tracking. I recommend you put up a value for each conversion i.e it will assign a value for every time your website gets visited or someone fills your form. There are other options such as assigning different values for every conversion along with the option of not assigning any conversion values. But I recommend you use the first value as you’ll be getting results for every sign up or visit to your website no matter how many times a person signs up or clicks your PPC ad.
10. Next option is count, in this section you get to choose how will the conversion tracking count the action on your website.
Example of Conversion Tracking:
If you’ve a form on your website for sign up then once your user has filled out your form its details are recorded in your system then if they sign in again then your conversion tracking is not gonna count it again. So instead of choosing every count choose only one.
But remember this you’ve to choose Every count for purchase because every time you make a sale it matters as are you generating revenue, so when this happens you’ve to track every purchase.
Now lets’s explore conversion tracking a little more so that you can understand it’s in depth concept.
11. Next section is conversion value. It’s used to tell Google how far back it has to track for the persons who have been converted.
12. Next is the view through conversion it’s used for display ads in case when your display ads are only viewed not clicked. Then it’ll be counted as viewed through ads.
13. You can even include the conversion in the conversion column so that you can get personalized results right in front of you.
14. Next is the attribution model it’s used for, which allows you to decide how to get credit for the conversion if someone clicks more than one of your ads. For example: if someone clicked your ads twice then the last ad clicked will be credited into the conversion tracking.
Other options include first click, liner etc. but I recommend you choose the last click. Now click on the save and you’ll be redirected to the tracking tag that google offers. It’s not similar to that of google analytics as the code given here is placed on a single page. It’s placed on the page loaded after the event.
15. You can even set the conversion to the click event and put the code on the button or the website link that gets loaded after the click of the PPC ads.
16. You’ll get the codes based on your preference of the tags.
17. Put that code on the header if you’re choosing an event and in case on click, you need to put it within the button click or website click event.
These are the detailed steps through which you’ll set up the conversion tracking on your landing page. I’ve explained each step and each element briefly.
In case you don’t get any step, clearly mention that step in the comment section below and I’ll help you in that section.
If you’re shy and don’t feel like sharing publicly then you can direct message me on Mount Woods Studio’s social media profiles.
Also, don’t forget to take this conversation over to your social media channels and help others as well. Just mention us by using #mountwoods or #mountwoodstudio and post your queries and questions over the social media and I’ll personally check all those and solve them.
Come let’s build Mount Woods Studio Design Academy so big that every person no matter where they are situated locally or globally be benefited from it. And that’s only possible because of your support so shower us with your never ending support and help the needy in every walk of life.
Also, don’t forget to tune in to our Mount Woods Studio Podcasts to know what’s new in design and marketing. We are uploading these sessions at regular intervals, so don’t forget to stay updated on these podcasts. And if you want to appear on these sessions let us know and we’ll arrange one interactive session with our Founder & CEO Mr. Ankit Dhadwal where you can ask questions or debate on your problems and doubts.